The Facts on Ankle Pain:
What Is Ankle Pain?
Ankle pain frequently occurs because of injury to one or more of the ankle bones, ligaments or tendons. Several types of arthritis and other conditions can also cause ankle pain.
The ankle is a complex system of bones, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. While your ankles are strong enough to support your weight and allow you to move, injury and overuse can trigger pain.
Most ankle pain stems from an injury during physical activity – sprains and fractures are most common. For example, you can sprain your ankle if you roll, twist or turn it in an awkward way.
What Causes Ankle Pain?
While ankle pain is primarily caused by injury during physical activity, it can also stem from osteoarthritis, the most common cause of arthritis.
Wearing shoes with inadequate support, standing or walking for long periods of time, or overuse of the feet during sports, can produce ankle pain. Being overweight also places additional stress on the feet and ankles
How to Relieve Ankle Pain?
Steps you can take to help relieve pain in your ankles:
- Use insoles to support and cushion your feet and ankles
- Maintain a healthy weight and stay in good shape
- Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly
- Incorporate ankle stretching and strengthening exercises into your routine to help prevent injuries
- Don’t run or exercise without warming up